History & Mission
Lafayette Industries is a sheltered workshop, founded in 1976 by a caring group of parents seeking employment for their grown children with developmental disabilities who had finished the Special School District curriculum. This resourceful group opened a one-room facility in Valley Park with 16 employees doing hand-assembly and packaging for area businesses. Since jobs were so scarce for this population and the demand was so great, the operation grew quickly.
Our mission is to provide meaningful, productive and long-lasting careers in the packaging industry to adults with developmental disabilities.
- Instill a sense of pride through workmanship in each employee by discovering their unique
individual abilities and applying those abilities to our packaging operation
- Continue to nurture and expand upon each employee's abilities through daily guidance and
- Provide new challenges to keep each employee working at their full potential
- Provide fair wages and good benefits
- Provide a safe, healthy and comfortable working environment
- Provide a support system for employees and their families
- Provide opportunities for each employee to interact socially in the workplace as well as outside
of the workplace, through organized parties, sports outings, picnics, etc.
- Provide high-quality products & services to our packaging clients
- Ensure the safety of all of our employees while performing their jobs
- Be fiscally responsible in our packaging operation to ensure employment for future generations
of individuals with developmental disabilities